Hanging a door is a relatively simple job. A good carpenter will be able to fit your door and add all the handles, latches and any other ironmongery in around 1-2 hours.
Due to this, you should expect to pay between £50-£75 for a professional to hang your door. If you are only having one door hung, you will probably pay at the higher end. This is mainly due to the carpenter being called out to the job and the time required.
In a situation where you are having multiple doors installed, the price will often work out better. A good carpenter can fit 4-6 doors in a single day. Therefore, a job with this number of doors, will give a full day’s work and a decent income for the carpenter, even at the lower end of pricing.
Another thing that will affect price, is whether you are paying for them to supply and fit. Or if you already have the doors and ironmongery.
As a general rule, most trades will add a slight fee on top if they are providing the materials. This will usually be a percentage on top of the cost.
With that said, a carpenter may get better deals from suppliers, where they have a trade relationship. This can often mean they get better prices than you, even if they mark it up.
The cost of internal doors
The price you pay for doors can vary significantly. The price you pay will depend on the type of door and the style.
For internal doors there are several common types that you may install. The cheapest would-be hollow core doors and these can be as cheap as £30. However, there are higher quality doors that could cost in excess of £250.
You can see some examples of the sort of price you would pay below:
- Hollow core doors – £30 – £50
- Solid soft wood doors – £50 – £80
- Fire doors – £40 – £200
- Solid hardwood doors – £90 – £250+
Another thing that can affect the price is the style. For example, flush doors, panel doors, cottage doors, glazed doors, etc.
If you know the door type you would like, it is always worth shopping around locally and online, in order to find the best price. You can also ask the carpenter if they can recommend some doors, to see if they can acquire them at a lower price point.
Things that could increase the cost of hanging internal doors
In most cases a carpenter will give a fixed price for this type of work. However, there are a few scenarios that could affect the price. Some of the main things that could make the installation more expensive include:
- Fitting into old casings – This is often not a problem, as most doors will be hung in existing casings. However, there are some instances where old casings have moved a lot. This can make fitting the doors more difficult. As a result, the carpenter will spend more time and may quote more for installation.
- The casings need replacing – If the casings are in very bad condition, they may need fully replacing. This requires much more work. Following removal, a new door casing will be installed, as well as replacing the architrave, and potentially minor repairs to damaged plaster.
- Removing old doors – Whilst this is only a small job, it is extra work and will usually be charged for. This won’t be much, but it could be the difference between £50/door and £60/door. Also, if they need to dispose of the doors once the job is complete, this may also incur an extra charge.
There may be other factors that influence the price, and as a general rule, this will usually boil down to things that make the job more difficult.
How to get your doors hung cheaper
As with any job, one of the best ways to reduce the cost is to shop around. There will be many carpenters in your local area who can do this work, but they wont all charge the same rate.
By simply comparing quotes, you can easily save £10-£20 per door. Obviously if you are having multiple doors hung this can add up.
One of the best ways to compare local carpenters is online. The majority will have online reviews and you can call them for quotes.
An even better way to do this is via online comparison sites. Most decent tradesmen are on several of these types of site. The reason for this, is it is a good way for them to pick up extra work.
However, it is also really good for you, because it puts all the potential workers for your job in one place. Also, the carpenters are vetted by the site and reviewed by the users. This means you know you are hiring a reputable tradesperson, who will do a good job.
Not only that, but it is a competitive marketplace. This means they are all competing for the same jobs. As a result prices tend to be much lower than hiring them direct.
Discounts of 30%+ are quite common.
How much you pay someone to hang an internal door, will depend on several factors. These include:
- The cost of the doors
- How many doors are being hung
- The person you hire
- And several other factors
The good news is, there are plenty of people who can do this job for you, and if you shop around you can get a better price.